Sunday, February 14, 2010

Bloody Mary vs. Bloody Joshua

A Bloody Mary is:

1 1/2 ounces (1 jigger) vodka
1/2 cup tomato juice
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Worcestershire sauce to taste
Tabasco to taste
1 celery stick for garnish
1 lemon wedge for garnish

A Bloody Joshua is:

1 Gashed Forehead
1 Cleaning Solution
1 tube of "Skin glue"
1 Cherry Popsicle
1 Bloody Nose
1 McDonald's Ice cream Cone

Now I do not know about you, but I will take a Bloody Mary any day. So here is the story and at the end will be the pictures.

We went and see Pops this weekend. The "safari" was thrilled to see Pops and the doggies. On Friday after naptime we drove to San Antonio to spend the evening and then all day Saturday with Pops. Friday went well and the "safari" woke up bright and early on Saturday. Pops got the "safari" bananas, strawberries and donuts for breakfast because that it what they asked for.

Pops had to run some business errands and called Noel around 10 am to see what we wanted to do for the day. We thought that the zoo would be a nice thing to do. Noel and I got the "safari" dressed and ready for the zoo, when Joshua decided that he wanted to see the emergency room instead. He was running down the hallway, tripped and slammed his forehead into the window sill. I heard the thud and knew that it was not going to be good. I ran to Joshua as he is holding his head and blood is coming out between his fingers.

I ran into the kitchen grabbed some paper towels and put as much pressure on his head as I could. I moved the paper towel and realized that there was NO band-aide that was going to fix the gash in his head. We called Pops to see how close he was. Pops ran into the house and we ran out of the house and into the van. Noel drove to the nearest hospital and I sat in the back holding my child. I walked into the emergency room at North Central Baptist Hospital. The receptionist asked me two questions, what happened and what is his name. We sat down just long enough for Noel to park the van. We got called and were asked some general questions about Joshua to make sure that he was not allergic to any medications. They directed us to a room. We sat in that room for no more than 5 minutes. The pediatric emergency room physician, Dr. Schmidt walked in and looked at Joshua's head. She told us that she could glue it shut and that her nurse was going to clean the wound and she would be right back. Her nurse walked in cleaned the wound and then Dr. Schmidt walked in. She had the nurse hold his wound together and then she glued it shut, and put some terry strips on. She left the room for a minute to return with a cherry Popsicle for Joshua. The entire time Joshua watched Monsters vs. Aliens.

Now I want to make this clear. We walked into the emergency room and was on our way out in less than 30 minutes. This hospital did not care about insurance until we were done and cared more about my child then anything else. Noel and I were impressed at the service and true concern for our child.

After leaving the hospital we returned to Pop's house and with the rest of the "safari." When the "safari" ate lunch they wanted to go to the park and so that is what we did. While at the park Joshua decided to have a nose bleed. When that drama was over we decided that ice cream would be good. We adventured to the the McDonald's and had our very first ice cream cone. It was an experience. The "safari" did great with the ice cream, but enjoyed the experience more when the ice cream was put into a cup and they were given a spoon. Hannah ate her ice cream before everyone else and was very strict that no one was going to get her spoon or help her in anyway.

Our day was full of drama, laughter and lots of love. I am grateful for Dr. Schmidt and how we were treated and that Joshua is a mellow child. We returned safely back home and are looking forward to our next adventure with Pops.

Here are some pictures of our experience. You will see the pictures of Joshua's head, the window sill, and the "safari" eating ice cream. They were taken with Noel's cell phone.

1 comment:

cheryl said...

Gosh, wouldn't it be nice to have a dull moment every now and again?!?
So glad he's okay! You're doing good momma!