Monday, June 8, 2009

A Day of Cooking

For the last couple of weeks I have been planning this huge cooking day with my mother, sister and sister-in-law because I thought that it would make our lives easier if we could do a batch cooking day. I planned the meals, made the shopping list and got everyone the information.

On Friday I went to my mother's house with Elijah and Esther, so that Noel did not have all the children. We did all the prep work for the next day. On Saturday we met at my mother's house and we decided who was in charge of what and we then started. Pam had to leave around noon to take Aiden to the doctor to look at his foot and our "babysitter", my dad, had to run a few errands before doing his "babysitting" job. So my mother became the babysitter for a while. My sister-in-law, Tracy and I were cooking up a storm.

My dad came home and he became the babysitter, then my mother had to go to the store because I based our cooking on pounds instead of pieces and did not communicate that well enough with everyone. Pam came home and left again to go to the emergency room because the doctor that she saw did not really do a whole lot and we thought that we should be safe. Her son, Aiden, was bitten by a spider and his leg was swollen and was leaking puss. The first doctor gave her sulfur and some steroids, but our family has reaction to sulfur, so she had to go to the emergency room and wait to be seen, 6 hours later, and my dad went with her for support. So my mother once again became the babysitter.

Tracy and I prepared 88 meals, 22 different meals for four families. At the end of the day we were tired and ready to go home. I was sore and tired the next day for sure though.

I thought that it went well considering all the outside factors. There are a few things that I would change. We would have a babysitter the entire time and I would not take my children next time, sorry honey. I would calculate the meat differently and we would invest in a food sealer. Besides that I think that it turned out well. At the middle of the month we will decide if we are going to do this again.


Joelee said...

Hello! Thanks for your comments on my blog. People also tell me that I should write a book (aren't people just amazed by multiples?!). After checking your blog out, I know that I have nothing on you :)
I LOVE that you had a meal marathon of a day! You should share what you made. I am trying to double at least one meal a week so that my freezer will be stocked by the time I go back to work in the fall. We will see!

Trish said...

I think it went well considering. We have had a couple of the meals and they were good. I all ready think I would like to try it again. This time with a babysitter. I think some of your children could come if dad or someone is willing to take care of the children. I love seeing them. With just a few adjustments I think this is the way to go. I love you, mom.